Friday, October 31, 2008

How I got the Tiki-boy!

I have attempted 3 times now to write this post, and I'm hoping it will finally post. Soooo, I drove 12 hours to Maryland to pick up a horse I'd seen in a picture. One picture. No vet check, no questions, just a gut feeling. I waited, listened to the advice of my friends that advised against the venture, and tried to forget the whole hair-brained idea. Needless to say, I went against all common sense, and went with my gut.

My husband was an incredibly good sport, and he got a new truck out of the deal. Yup. Our truck that we'd had needed tires, a water pump, a hitch, a transmission, new wiring, and had 220k miles on it. We traded that sucker in, and got a new Chevy ready and willing to pull the borrowed trailer 12 hours. It was a LONG drive up there. We went GA-SC-NC-VA-MD. We stayed overnight in a hotel room, then showed up at the Timmonium Fairgrounds at 6:30 the following morning to meet the trainer and load up the horse. His name was Roy's Legacy, aka "Junior".

Upon arrival, the trainer greeted us, and showed the horse to us. I was instantly pleased; he had a freaking CUTE face!! Luckily, I felt a good vibe. I had been TERRIFIED that I would feel no spark, or he would crib, or bite, or kick, or just do SOMETHING stupid. Thank God, that did not happen. We unwrapped his legs, I re-wrapped with my own wraps, and the trainer led him to the trailer. David and I walked ahead to give her a chance to say goodbye. She walked him up the ramp, tied him up, and walked off with tears in her eyes. We drove off, and I prayed to God that I had made the right decision.

All the way home (MD-WV-VA-WV-VA-TN-GA) we stopped and checked on him. I offered him water and peppermints; he didn't partake of either. He travelled quietly, never kicking or squealing. By the time we arrived home, it was about 8:30 at night and about to STORM. The place where I was keeping him was a little backyard barn with a stall on the back side of the barn attached to the pasture where he was going to live. I let him graze while I unwrapped his legs and sprayed him with flyspray. He was super sweaty, and didn't really eat anything. I was very aware that many OTTB's don't know how to be OUT since they're kept in stalls, so I was afraid he would run and hurt himself. It began to rain. I got soaked to the skin as I closed him in the little pen to try and keep him in the stall, but he sort of ran in and out of the stall. I gave him a bucket of water and a rack full of hay, then crossed my fingers and went home.

Wow. Finally, I had my OWN horse!!!


  1. Happy horseing, I mean , Happy Halloween!

  2. Congrats on your first horse! After all the years around them, you got your own to spoil :) I'm following your blog, as I'm retraining one (maybe more!) of my own racehorses. The benefit I have is they are mine before they retired too. I've a blog you can check out on my new OTTB if you like.