Saturday, May 12, 2018

#drivingthebaby


Last year, I coined a hashtag; #drivingthebaby.  I had JUST gotten my first ride on my FIL's bike and I was hooked; my MIL needed David to ride her bike up to our house due to them wanting to come up and ride the mountains, but she was going to have to drive up, blah blah.  So David had her bike, and he, Kody, and the FIL all rode bikes out to eat ... and I had to drive Colton.  Lol, I felt kind of sorry for myself :D  My sweet MIL has unfortunately had a fall roller skating and broke her clutch arm; so no riding for the summer :(  But it did mean that today she was able to transport the little man so that the boys and I could get in a little wind therapy this mother's day weekend!



Firstly, last weekend was International Ride Day.  Thunderstorms were in the forecast for TN, so I did not ride at ALL.  Turns out, the rain pretty much held off all day, so I was a little bummed, but I'd already planned a Sunday ride so I wasn't too upset.  Sunday, David led me down south to Chattanooga where I met up with 2 facebook friend motorcycle chicks!  I LOVE all the motorcycle groups I'm a member of, because how else would I have met these awesome ladies?  One of them shares my exact name, and the other shares my bike, so what's not to love??  David went off on his own while me and the 2 ladies took a girl ride back up towards my way to eat lunch at this sweet little country restaurant.  It was a great ride!  I stayed in my preferred "drag" location, and it is always fun riding with another Scout.  We will definitely ride again, it was a great ride and great company :)


My excitement for the week was on my #curvesbeforecoffee ride on Tuesday morning!  I took my usual 129 towards the Dragon, then turn to Foothills Parkway, then down 321 into Seymour to work.  Thus far, I've encountered large birds, turkey (I think turkey is ALSO classified as a large bird), and deer.  Tuesday, I encountered my first BEAR!  Talk about make your heart stop!  I was beginning a long uphill, and saw it to my left, on the side of the road.  My head was saying, "Um, that looks like a bear", but my I told myself I was seeing things.  Then, I got closer, and saw that yes, it was a LARGE BEAR!  I got a shot of adrenaline that made my feet go numb; I let off the throttle and downshifted, unsure if the instincts of the bear would cause to to come towards me, or what.  Fortunately, as  I got closer, it turned and ran into the woods.  So very cool!



This weekend, we had no plans to ride.  My inlaws came up, and David talked them into going with us to my mother's day breakfast in Pigeon Forge, then to the Indian dealership to see the Wall of Death show.  By talking them into tagging along, he talked them into transporting the baby!  It was a great day, had such a blast.  Everyone loved the show, so glad we went!

I'm not sure what's going on with me, but I'm experiencing some weird riding feels.  I almost wonder if my tires are causing me to experience some strange wobbles, because my confidence is a little shaky ever since I stopped in the middle of that corner.  I mean, I'm riding fine, but I feel like all of a sudden I'm having trouble setting up my left hand curves to be nice and smooth, it's really WEIRD.  But my back tire, even though it still has good tread, has developed almost like a ridge on the sides of the tire, like a sharp edge.  It's really strange, hard to describe.  I wonder if that's making me feel this ever so slight instability that's affecting my brain.  Also, I feel like the bike's having a hard time finding the lower gears sometimes; almost like the my clutch cable needs to be adjusted.  May be time for a shop service!

I FINALLY rode David's bike!  Even though it's "smaller" than the Scout, in reality it's bigger!  It's wider, heavier, and bulkier all the way around which is what combines to intimidate me, NOT power.  He pulled it out yesterday, so I ran in and put on my boots with my yoga pants, then hopped on and ran around the neighborhood.  I did fine!  Felt shaky through the U turns in the cul de sacs, but that's because I'm an overthinker and don't just go full throttle in a new activity!  Didn't put my feet down until I pulled back in front of the house :D  Just training for when David gets his Chieftan and he lets me ride it!!

Anyway!  Not planning to ride tomorrow as it has gone from too chilly to ride without 5 layers to HOT.  Colton goes next week for his "Grandparents' week", so hopefully we can plan something longer; maybe to Rock Island State Park!  I just have to "inception" that idea into David's head over the next week ;)  Hoping to ride my 2 days to work this week, hope all y'all enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment