Saturday, August 18, 2018

The ride up to Hartford ... oh, what an adventure!




The weekend began after work on Friday.  I rode all the way out to Knoxville from Seymour so Mufasa could get a front tire and an oil change.  We then headed right back out from where I'd come from because there was a new back road to ride ... and a mountain to climb.  As we dipped and leaned through the tight Sevier County back roads, David pointed out a mountain and said he wanted to go to the top.  So we did!  The path got more and more narrow and soon the yellow line disappeared.  I always feel fortunate to tackle these roads on a bike vs. a vehicle so that we can stay a safe distance from oncoming traffic.  The road had a few corkscrews but was pretty level and the camber wasn't too bad.  It was a typical tourist/vacation cabin type road; I couldn't imagine actually living on it, as I can imagine it would get quite iced in during the winter!

See that view?  Breathtaking!  And tall!

We actually received a last minute invitation Friday night to ride down south with a friend from up north, but David had already planned and mapped out a ride up north.  We were PLANNING to head up to KY and maybe hit the Aces and Eights ride.  Upon further investigation, the ride was just going to be too far to tackle in a day, so we picked our 2nd favorite, the Rattler.

Tired of our "helmet hair, don't care" yet?

As Saturday morning dawned, plans morphed yet again as David wanted to head up towards Hartford and some of the roads we'd driven for the Foothills Wine Trail.  We headed around towards Douglas Lake and enjoyed the views at the dam.  The GPS directed us along the general route we'd used in the truck, and we ended up stopping for gas IN Hartford, which is a little rafting town close to the NC state line; State Route 32 is close to there which is the road we hit on our way home from our epic Diamondback/Sidewinder/Devil's Whip ride and I almost cried, lol.  We opted NOT to partake of that particular adventure, and I spotted a sign for the Martha Sundquist State Forest and thought it would be a GREAT idea to go check that out.  Hah!  Friends, if you EVER ride with us, be prepared for ANYTHING, haha.

Yeah, do yourself a favor and visit this place in a TRUCK.

The gravel ON the road quickly turned TO a gravel road, and as the weather was nice with no mud, we opted to see where it would take us.  I hit a few ruts and rocks that literally took my breath away, they were so hard.  About 4 miles in, we came upon a V in the road; up or down.  I was beginning to just think we needed to turn around b/c the road was getting more and more narrow, and the weeds were growing up thicker in the center of the road.  The rocks were looser, the ruts were bigger, and the uphill climb was looking somewhat washed out.  And then David exclaimed in my ear, "OH SHI&!"  I thought it was maybe a log across the road or something, but turns out it was a bear.  Yep, a very large bear.  I only saw the butt, David saw the whole thing.  It loped off about 30 feet, then stopped just to the edge of the woods.  Um, yeah, we turned around.  THAT was fun.  I started to park the bike and get off and let David finish turning her around.  He DID get off and stand in front of me b/c I was terrified I was going to drive right off the edge b/c did I mention this road was uphill?  And rutted out loose gravel?  And my motorcycle is a STREET BIKE??  

I'd rather be on pavement

Irritability was beginning to set in, which happens when I act like a puss, lol.  I was also having trouble with my sunglasses b/c I was wearing just my short sleeved shirt b/c it was sooooo hot I didn't even want my jacket.  So, nowhere to put my glasses, and I was having trouble reading the road b/c it was so shadow riddled.  I finally got them situated, and we made it back out the way we came ... and promptly turned down a paved road riddled with loose gravel and MASSIVE potholes.  I'm pretty sure I was complaining, lol.  Fortunately, the bad conditions improved, and we ended up on a short jaunt up Foothills Parkway ... NOT the one I've ridden a hundred times, the other one.  It was super short, but it had the same breathtaking views.

The "other" Foothills Parkway

That dumped us out onto I-40, and we rode a few miles up and down the windy, breathtaking hills and curves.  There's nothing quite like taking a wide, sweeping curve at 75 mph in 5th gear on a smooth riding bike.  This was one of the first times I can remember actually enjoying the ride, as the road was completely dry, AND there wasn't a wall of semi trucks.  There were a few, but they were easily passed.  By sheer accident, we ended up in Hot Springs, NC.  Lol, we honestly did not head towards the Rattler on purpose, but we ended up there anyway.

NEVER ENDING gravel road

We again ate at our favorite Irish bar on the river, then flew across Hwy 209, AKA the Rattler.  I again led the ride, as I do really enjoy that road.  By the time we completed it, we were both pretty dang tired, so we hit the Interstate to go home.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day, full of lots of adventure and amazing views, tight, corkscrew 15 mph turns and high speed, 75 mph curves.  We had bears, birds, and gravel.  I have SUCH an amazing time with my other half, I can't say enough how much I love and appreciate him.  He always watches out for me and takes care of me, but he also doesn't put up with any crap, lol.  He pushes me safely out of my comfort zone just enough that I grow as a rider every time I throw a leg over.  I'm so thankful for my life, and can't wait to reveal what's coming up in a mere 6 days!!!

Douglas Dam









No comments:

Post a Comment