Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First 'working'


One thing people must understand is the fact that my horse is freakishly quiet. I mean, so quiet, I was worried he was sick or something. So, needless to say, I was quite relieved after his first longeing.

I tacked him up with a longeing surcingle, my bridle that I'd had for years for no particular horse, and a loose pair of leather side reins. I grabbed my longe whip, and led him out to the most level spot of his pasture. I attached the side reins on the loosest hole, flicked my whip, and he squealed. Yup, squealed. He then took off in an awkward cross canter, shook his head, and swung his butt around. I just had to laugh at him ... it was quite obvious this had been a part of his usual training schedule. I worked him lightly both ways, then rewarded him with another walk through the park.

It made me happy because he actually ate grass when we walked the park. When left to his own devices, the goofy horse stood in his stall 20 hours a day. Then he was introduced to his first buddy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment