Thursday, March 25, 2010

Continuing on ...


Sooo ... several things!

1. I had an "incident" at Regionals. I was warming up one of our team horses that belongs to the young lady that showed my horse at the PW schooling show. He was LOVELY to flat. He is quite big bodied, and stands about 16.2 or so; he's a TB. I felt GREAT as I trotted into a warmup crossrail ... and then it was awful. Coming into the jumps, he stopped, leaped, and SERIOUSLY unseated me. I mean, my leg FLEW backwards, and I got so left behind at every jump. At every single jump, my confidence level just sunk lower and lower:( Finally, it was so bad that he jumped HUGE over about the 6th jump, and I got SO left behind that I landed behind the saddle. Fortunately, I was able to kick my feet out of the stirrups and jump off, but still, it was quite an embarassing display.:(

2. I decided after that little incident that that was NOT going to happen to me again! So, I took the stirrups off my saddle. I've been riding without them ever since. It's been rough, and I seriously feel sorry for my horse! It doesn't help that he's been wild lately because the bo's are trying to preserve the pastures, and when it rains, is rationing turnout. So I guess Tiki's going out probably an average of 4 days a week:( I understand it, but I definitely don't like it:( The timing really stinks, since he's been so fresh, and I've been without stirrups.

3. My sitting trot has really improved! So has my downward transition from the canter:) Poor boy is like a ball, all bunched up behind the bit and jiggy. He's probably bummed about not having any massages. Not sure if THAT'S the issue, or if it's the turnout. Either way, I longed him the other day before I rode so his back could loosen and warm up before I got on, and he was SQUEALING (like he used to a year ago, lol). Had a really good ride, though, and I'm doing a lot of work on lateral work, and walking on contact, since he HATES that.

4. PRAYING I can scrape together the funds for a trailer this summer so I can do the things I really want. Wanting to do a hunter pace, and also a clinic with Jeff Cook. The clinic is in June, and I'm seriously considering leaving my stirrups OFF until then, ha ha. I NEED to be fit, so I don't embarass myself or Janet. I've gone running once ( I HATE to run), and I just need to make that a minimum 3 day a week thing.

5. Planning now to give Tiki the entire month of July off. It is just so miserably hot outside, and the bugs are terrible. Unless the bo can get some sand in the ring, the footing will be dangerously hard anyway, and I think he will really just need some time off. I plan to step up our game until the clinic, then keep it up until the end of June; maybe throw a show in there somewhere.

6. We're having fun. Havent actually ridden in the ring this week; Ive longed him in the surcingle, and walked hills. Planning a 'real' ride tomorrow, but will longe first since I'm sure he's in tonight (rain possible). I just hate to do that all the time because it takes so much more time. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do!

7. My equestrian team finished 5th ... by 1 point. The top 4 teams went to Nationals:( SO close. Oh well . At least now I can relax and focus on myself and horse for awhile:)

No comments:

Post a Comment