Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Woo Hoo!


Wow. Today was a good day. I got up, took Kody to school, went to the gym, went to the grocery store, went home, got to the barn, rode my boy, and made it home by 1:00. I'll then be leaving again and heading to the barn to teach.


Tacked him up, went to our usual pasture, longed him (total dead head!) and hopped on. We spent lots of time learning how to leg yield, walked squares, and flexed to both sides. Did a bunch of walk/trot transitions/halts/loose rein exercises. Finally picked up a little cantact, and trotted lots of circles. He's finally circling without falling in and popping any shoulders. He was relaxed, trotted GREAT, and not a single head toss today. He feels so much better with his little ear net on because it muffles the sound of the cars whizzing by mere feet away. He's finally getting with the program, and working well in our little corner of the pasture.


Asked for the left lead canter, and he gave it right away, but did get a little bit bucky. He really likes to switch out behind, so I think he's just a little weak in the hind end, and could probably use a visit from the chiropractor. Reversed, asked for the right lead, got it RIGHT away, and stopped. His leads have been inconsistent. When I FIRST started riding him, he favored the right lead and had a tough time with the left. Now, he seems to favor the left, and struggles with the right. Interesting. Today, though, he got both leads on the first try, so I didn't push my luck and let him stop on a good note. Very good day!

5 comments:

  1. I just caught up on your story. I came from Viva volte (or 20 meter circle...she is one in the same!).

    I love OTTB's and have retrained two of them. Unfortunately, I had to rehome my OTTB because I also have a WB and I could no longer afford both because of the economy.

    I look forward to reading about your journey with him.

    I assume he raced???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! Yes, he raced. I've spent my whole career teaching for really good local big name trainers, but have always had everything spelled out in "the program". I've taught, managed lesson horses, started an equestrian team ... but never actually owned a horse! So, I finally have one, and am trying to develop my OWN program. It's a learning process, but I hope my adventures are interesting to anyone reading the blog; advice is always welcome:) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're starting to gel. How's his leads with figure 8's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenger, he likes to lean and pop his shoulder during figure 8's. I like to get the canter on a straightaway, then canter in circles for balance. He isn't that great at the figure 8, and I do a LOT of them! Just something we'll need to work on once the ring is done.

    ReplyDelete