Thursday, January 6, 2011

The day finally arrived!


The boy was a total ROCKSTAR today! And I'm going to take just a *smidge* of credit. I have done a pretty decent job training him. I remember vividly what he felt like this time last year. Leaning, fast, head above the bit, inconsistent ... today, he felt strong, fresh, fit, and happy.:)


As I cleaned his feet, I noticed it did not APPEAR that he went out last night. Sooo ... just to be on the safe side, I took the longe line up with me. Clipped it on, and waited patiently while he didn't do much to the left. Reversed, and he was a little more fresh to the right. My friend's horse, Captain, likes to RUN every time Tiki comes in the ring ... and he started doing that just as he started tracking right.


His eye strayed to Captain, he bowed his neck, and WHAM! HUGE buck, lol. I think Tiki has to think about how to buck. He waits, measures, holds his breath, then PUSHES off the ground. It is actually really fun to watch, haha. I patiently waited until he appeared to finally go, "OK", then swung into the saddle!


He felt so good. Did a nice long walk, then a trot on a loose rein. No butt swinging, no short choppy steps, and no head above the bit. He had a FORWARD trot, and stretched his head down, seeking contact. He felt very steady and strong. Did some working walk/super slow trot transitions, and that went ok. I have a whole list of exercises to work on Monday, and that's one of them. When I went to canter, I had to stand because his canter was massive. It almost felt like he wanted to get a little bucky, but never did. I half halted and sat tall, and he stayed on a nice rhythm. Made myself finish after about 15 minutes or so. I longed him almost 10 minutes, and I didn't want to start back too much too fast. I want to take my time and ease back into work on a reasonable time table.


Tomorrow will be hills unless something nuts happens, then next week will HOPEFULLY be a normal work load week. They're talking now about some crappy, freezing precip weather at the beginning of the week, so we'll just have to play it by ear, I guess. Got a lesson at Patchwork with Janet planned for next Monday; can't WAIT!


And don't want to jinx it, but I've paid a deposit, so it's almost a done deal! Leaving tomorrow afternoon to head south to Ocala, FL to go buy a trailer! I am SO excited!!!! It's a 2001 Horton trailer (which I had been LOOKING for, but they're HARD to find) that's a straight load with a ramp and dutch doors. So, hubby and I planned a little "getaway" with our son for the weekend. Leave tomorrow and head to Panama City. Stay there for the night, head straight to Ocala to pick up the trailer Saturday, then drive from there towards Jekyll Island, where we'll most likely stay Saturday night. Sunday, we'll take our time and meander a little then head home. Super excited!!! Can't wait!!! I have been waiting for 3 years to FINALLY have my own trailer. Happy, happy day:):)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new trailer. Have fun on your trip and hope the weather cooperates with all your plans ;)

    ReplyDelete