Monday, January 30, 2012

Finally! A sound pony:)


( I'm kind of amazed at how non hairy he looks)
Not that he was ever UNsound ... technically:)  He may have popped a splint, but he never so much as bobbled.  This weekend, my fabu barn owner turned him out in Star's pasture, and this afternoon I decided to hop on for the first time in 3 weeks.  He was nice and quiet as I tacked him up, and I eschewed the bridle in favor of the halter.  Yes, I strapped on my helmet;)  Every time, every ride:)  I wondered how it would go when I got him up to the ring and he decided to spin himself in a circle around me, looking like a mad man.  But still, my gut was telling me all was well so I growled at him to remember his manners and stand still, then climbed aboard.

20 minutes of walking.  Leg yielded to and from the rail both directions, turn on the forehand, walked over poles and cavalettis, and worked on FORWARD.  I have to say, after 20 minutes of working at the walk, he really felt NICE.  Loose, relaxed, and happy.  Tomorrow I will put in about 10 minutes of trot work, and tonight he goes out with his boys in his usual pasture.  By Friday, I will have added in some light canter, but no jumping until maybe Friday of next week.  No harm in taking it slow; no time agenda:)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on the "sound" horse! I know what it's like to not have one. Hope he stays that way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Glad to hear you're back in the saddle and that Tiki is feeling well. He looks great in the photo.

    ReplyDelete